RELIEF SOCIETY GOALS FOR 2014
General goals for the entire Relief Society are:
- To increase faith and personal righteousness.
- To strengthen families and homes.
- To seek out and help those in need.
- To increase spirituality and testimony
- To have a sisters temple day in February or March
- There will be a ward temple night each month
- To foster more personal connections in Relief Society
The course of study this year will be the Teachings of President Joseph Fielding Smith to be taught on the second and third Sundays. We are encouraged to go online to read the lessons.
The fourth Sunday lessons are chosen by the bishopric and the ward council and are taken from the most recent General Conference talks. All lessons are coordinated with the High Priests and the Elders quorums to facilitate discussions in the home.
Also, we have our ongoing Relief Society Activity usually on the second Wednesday of the month at 7:00 in this building.
Schedules for both the lessons and the activities for the year are available on the hall table.
When there is a fifth Sunday in a month, the bishopric is in charge of the message as we combine with the priesthood for that lesson.
It is the prerogative of the Relief Society presidency to chose the format for the first Sunday of each month. After much prayer and consideration, we would like to use the first Sunday to help implement some of our ward goals and so we will be highlighting one sister each month in an effort to become more acquainted personally and also having time at the end of the spotlight for the bearing of testimonies and/or missionary experiences here in Relief Society.
Spiritual Thoughts Selected by Sue
”I consider charity - or the pure love of Christ - to be the opposite of criticism and judging. In speaking of charity, I do not...have in mind the relief of the suffering through the giving of our substance. That, of course, is necessary and proper...I have in mind the charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient toward their actions, the kind of charity that forgives, the kind of charity that is patient. I have in mind the charity that impels us to be sympathetic, compassionate and merciful, not only in times of sickness and affliction and distress but also in times of weakness or error on the part of others. There is serious need for the charity that gives attention to those who are unnoticed, hope to those who are discouraged, aid to those who are afflicted. True charity is love in action. The need for charity is everywhere.” (“Charity Never Faileth” Ensign, Nov. 2012 pp 124-5)
“The world can be a challenging and difficult place in which to live. We are often surrounded by that which would drag us down. As you and I go to the holy houses of God, as we remember the covenants we make within, we will be more able to bear every trial and to overcome each temptation. In this sacred sanctuary we will find peace; we will be renewed and fortified.” (The Holy Temple - A Beacon to the World” Ensign, May 2011 p.92)
Sue bore testimony that these things are absolutely true. We can strengthen our own testimony in Christ by going to the temple, by connecting with each other and opening ourselves to that power of the Spirit that can come into our lives.
As stated in the goals section above, various sisters will be invited to come and be our spotlight sister each month. We are hoping that will be a time when you can connect and get to know our sisters. Over time we hope to hear from everyone.
Sister Spotlight
Melissa
I have lived in this ward for 11 years. I have served in the Sunday School, Primary, and now in the Relief Society as Secretary. I love to read. Science Fiction and fantasy are my favorite genres. I also enjoy historical fiction and children's books. I like to sew. I taught myself to sew doing strip quilting and making Halloween costumes. You can also find me working on DIY home improvement projects.
I am 4th of 5 children (Carl is also the 4th of 5; I think that is why we get along so well).
One of our purposes to do these spotlights on Sunday is to be spiritual. I come from many long lines of pioneer ancestors. My most recent ancestor to join the church is 4 generations removed from me, but your testimony is not genetic; you can’t inherit it. I have a conversion story just like everyone else. When I was a little girl I had one of those lost items stories like President Monson shares about his $5 that was in his pants. It was the first time I remember a prayer being answered. I think that’s why Heavenly Father answers those little prayers, just so we know He is listening to the big ones too. Whether they are answered just how we want or not, we know He cares.
Growing up, we lived in a rural area without many members, so both of my parents always had big callings. After church they spent forever after the meetings talking to people and getting things done. It felt like we were never going to go home. Behind our ward building there was a big open field. I would go back there and think about the lessons we had been taught and wonder if it was true or not. I am a natural doubter. I have a lot of doubts all the time. But I decided then that I wanted to know if it was true and I began working on receiving that knowledge.
Eventually, I went to BYU where I met Carl. We were both statistics majors in the same class. There was an obvious attraction, but nothing ever happened. Turned out he was dating someone else at the time. Then one day I was up on campus looking up some information and I ran into him in the hallway. I asked him to go with me to a barbecue I was going to right then. He said yes. On the way to the event, I admitted to him it was a wedding. (But then there was to be a barbecue after.) He asked me out for later that night and things went well. Carl let me know early in our dating that he would be moving to California. He grew up in this ward and really wanted to come back.
When our first baby was born, I quit my job to stay home and take care of him. I had a really hard time adjusting to my new life. When my oldest was about a year old, we had another pregnancy that we lost. It was really hard. I was already so sad. I felt just like I was going to go off the edge, out of control. And when those feelings would come, I’d think “I can’t do it.” Then the most incredible feeling of peace came upon me that I know was sent from Heavenly Father. He cared about me in that time. I remember just living in that calm. We were very blessed in having 3 more babies. In many ways, life is much harder now because we have so much going on, but it is easier because I still feel that peace when I need it.
My favorite scripture is Alma 5:26: “And now behold, I say unto you my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?” That’s really important to me because I am a doubter, but I have felt to sing the song of redeeming love. I always remember those moments and that strengthens my testimony.
The meeting closed with the bearing of testimonies.